Thursday 13 May 2010

Day 12 - the 'slurp n' slop diet'



This is a phrase coined by my mother after observing me at work on a bowl of porridge, and it's highly appropriate as I usually end up with mush smeared accross my face, down my clothes, and on the mirror that was being used to improve my aim. It's also a seriously effective diet as I weighed myself this morning and discovered that i'd lost 8lbs since surgery! There are people out there who'd kill for that degree of weight loss - we could be onto a big seller here!

So swelling continues to decrease slowly, though it's still going strong around my upper lips and nose - inside my mouth definitely feels more puffed up than it did last week. The throat is ok, and i'm off the painkillers and antibiotic which is great news. I'm starting back on the pro/prebiotics and vitamins so my poor insides can start recovering from the pharmaceutical pummeling i've given them - i'm a real pill adverse yogurt-weaving hippie at heart!

I have however picked up the nasty habit of examining my face every few minutes, poking at the swelling and worst of all judging the result! We all know that it takes months for the final result to appear so I really need to stop myself staring in the mirror every 5 minutes and thinking is my top lip too far forward/is my nose too big for my new chin etc stopitstopitstopit!!

So, back on subject, for the benefit of those soon to undergo jaw surgery let me introduce you to the meals you'll soon be enjoying morning, noon and night for a month or so. Doesn't it look appetising! It's almost magical how the most tasty and diverse ingredients form an almost universal taste once blended which you get sick of in no time. As for which meal this is, i'll leave you to guess!



mmmmm...slop!

6 comments:

My Underbite Adventure said...

YUMMMMMMY!!!!!!!! LOL

June said...

Hi. You are so upbeat and funny. I enjoy reading your posts. How is eating going for you? I tried my first spoon-fed meal last night and it was so hard. I was afraid to open my mouth much for fear I would hurt something. Putting the rubber bands back in was a real challenge too. Hope you're doing well.

Kyla Makay said...

YEAH! YOu are looking awesommmmme! :)

keep us posted. :)

-makay

Discantus said...

Hi June,

Eating is a necessary evil right now - mouth ulcers are adding to the swelling in there to make eating highly unpleasant, so i'm probably not getting enough calories at the moment.

However this phase will pass so i'm not really stressing about it. You're lucky being allowed to take off your bands - mine have to stay in all the time, hence the bowls of slop, and i'm 'sucking' more than eating through the gap in my teeth, a delightful experience!

Still, we'll be laughing about all this very soon so don't despair :)

Anonymous said...

Hi,

Just discovered your blog via V's. I am 5 months into braces and wish time would go by quicker.

Thanks for the blog and I hope your recovery is super quick.

Martin

maryc said...

congrats on getting to the slurp & slop! I found this stage very frustrating, and really avoided it by drinking protein & nutrition shakes...it made life so much easier and i was able to get enough calories to give me some energy & not loose tooo much weight (although I did end up loosing 25lbs thanks to my high metabolism). Keep up the good fight!! All the Best!