Wednesday 21 January 2009

News travels fast!

Another milestone reached! Monday was the big First Adjustment day and I was feeling a little apprehensive, having read on other blogs that it can be quite a painful experience, but I needn't have worried. The whole appointment took only half an hour, and apart from one or two momentary sharp twinges as the new wires were pressed back into the brackets it was more or less pain free! Dr H replaced both the top and bottom wires with slightly thicker ones than before (I think) and announced he was very happy with the progess I was making. I must confess the technical details of what is going on and which wire is being used is rather lost on me. As long as i'm still on target for surgery at the 12 month mark and am not experiencing anything too painful i'm happy for him just to get on with it :)


At the end of the appointment I quizzed Dr H about my most pressing brace-related concern - staining! It's really important to keep teeth looking as good as possible during treatment, but i'm convinced that they're slowly turning yellower as the weeks go by. I seem to be spending longer and longer brushing in the bathroom in the hope that I can undo some of the damage. He told me that some degree of staining is virtually impossible to avoid, particularly for avid tea drinkers like myself but that scrubbing away like a mad woman won't help that much. He told me to swill with plenty of water after each cup, and said he'd put me down for a polish each time I get a new wire to make sure that any staining is kept to a minimum.


I also asked Dr H about any patients of his who had problems with their braces whilst away on holiday. I'm off snowboarding next week to France and am concerned about what to do if I end up mangling my brace in some huge collision on the slopes. Thankfully he didn't know of anyone who had encountered serious problems, but did recommend I take a pair of sharp metal nail cutters, so I could clip any pokey wires that were giving me a hard time. Errr... I don't think so! Any DIY dentistry I attempted would probably end up in a blood-soaked local hospital visit, so I think i'd just cough up for a trip to a local dentist if the worst came to the worst.


I attended an extended family gathering with A's relatives at the weekend, many of whom I hadn't seen in years, let alone spoken to. But it seems that someone has been spreading my brace news far and wide, as "Hi Discantus, how's the brace?" seemed to be the opener to just about every conversation I had. How did they know?? I suspect they all wanted to have a good nose at it though, and it's highly disconcerting trying to maintain a conversation with someone who can't seem to tear their attention away from your mouth. They also seemed determined to 'console' me, telling me that it will be worth it, and that i'll get through it etc etc, as though some dreadful fate had befallen me. It didn't seem to occur to them that this could be a positive experience, and that I actually rather like having the brace as it's taking me towards a lifelong goal. This really is symbolic of how behind the UK is in its attitude towards teeth, thinking that no-one could willingly choose to have a brace and how terrible it must be. I've decided to answer all future queries about it with a cheery "It's great! I'm really enjoying the whole experience". That should make them think a bit more!

4 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Hey, don't know if you've checked it out lately but Archwired is fully functional again!

As a coffee drinker, I hear your concerns about staining. It doesn't help that braces block the light that would normally reflect off/shine through (whatever) your teeth which DEFinitely gives them the appearance of a more greyish/yellowish hue. I console myself by making weird faces where I 'smile' without any braces showing, just the tips of my teeth, so I can see that they really are still 'white' by comparison. For some weird reason I don't do this in public. Kudos on scoring that adjustment-polishing! I'm going for a whitening experience once this is all over though :)

OOOOh, very jealous of your upsoming snowboarding trip. The only thing I've heard of is some people wear a mouth guard, so if they fall they don't rip their mouth to bits....it's also extremely attractive as an accessory, lol. Have fun!

SinxDesigns said...

I afraid the yellow teeth are a trade off against the future improvement but it is annoying after getting the teeth to an acceptable shade with years of whitening toothpaste.
I note that a fair number of people get their teeth whitened after the treatment is complete. This is something I will definitely do when the braces finally come off.

Discantus said...

Hi Kate, I might try using a layer of wax. That should take the worst off any fall. Should probably be worrying more about broken legs though!

Anonymous said...

Your teeth are looking great. Check out my Braces Story. I get them off in a few months.