Tuesday 28 April 2009

Adjustment no. 3!

How long will it take to relax with this whole process?

This was the question going around in my mind whilst on the way to Dr H’s yesterday, as despite being 5 months and several visits into the journey i’m STILL feeling hugely anxious on adjustment day, and tend to spend the preceding 24 hours coping with butterflies and jelly legs! I really need to start getting a grip of these nerves or heaven knows how I’ll react once surgery appears on the horizon, but for the moment I’m still taking a deep breath at the practice door and pushing my hands deep into my pockets, so that when I walk in no-one notices them shaking.

Needless to say I had nothing to worry about. Dr H. and the team put a new ugly wire of a higher number on the top (with a great deal of pushing and shoving I might add-my brackets never open or close without a fight) and swapped out the spring thingy on the bottom for one that was stronger. I’ve not really noticed any tooth movement going on since last time, including around the spring, but apparently there has actually been progress. Now we’ve only got a few more gaps to open and are waiting for the upper arch to completely straighten before things can move on. I also had a much needed clean to remove staining and build up – which is still causing me a lot of grief between visits, but Dr H. wasn’t able to find a cause for the bleeding and sensitivity that I’ve experienced recently, and speculated that increased pressure on the lower molars may be the cause (they are really the only teeth that meet up with the upper set), I was relieved to hear it wasn’t something more serious.

For the next visit Dr H’s assistant told me that I’d be getting a steel wire on top, along with a set of hooks. Hooks? Ouch! As an ulcer-prone individual that word sends a chill down my spine! I asked the purpose of these new torture devices and was told they would “hold elastics and close gaps”. Hold on – havn’t we been working on opening gaps all this time? The purpose of all this is rather lost on me – I can only conclude that my ortho truly does work in mysterious ways!

Still, I have bigger things to worry about: in two weeks I’ll be accompanying my mother to a 60th birthday in a city some distance from London, which will mean the two of us making the long journey together. I’ve deliberately stayed out of her way since she gave me so much grief about having surgery, but I’m hoping a few hours alone in the car will help clear the air. Not planning to bring up the subject directly but am hoping it will crop up whilst chatting. Surely she can’t ignore it for much longer?

3 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Nothing like feeling the whole process is a 2 steps forward, 1 step back process eh? I believe it really is, and that one step back is a PAIN! Haha, I still get the nervous/excited sweats (combined with dorky perma-grin) so I can't promise that feeling will dissipate anytime soon :)

Ah yes, the hooks. They are a treat that might demand a bit of tlc from the wax department. *sigh* back to salt water swishing and contemplating how many candles are building inside your small intestine.....

Good luck with the upcoming mother-daughter bonding time: will hope it brings another baby-step of acceptance towards the choice you've made for yourself ;)

Discantus said...

Thanks for reassuring me i'm not the only one who gets nervous with adjustments, but I dread to think about the anxiety levels you're going through right now! Hope the build up to the Big Day is going nice an smooth...

stephanie said...

I get really nervous, too, before adjustments and all appointments that have to do with my mouth. I always walk out in tons of pain and end up with a mind-blowing migraine the next day, so it's no wonder why. It's a darned good thing my orthodontist is so loveable and good natured, otherwise I might need someone to drag me in!