Sunday 6 June 2010

Day 36 - the long and short of it

5 weeks in, and my swelling is looking good! It's still there in the centre of my face, though I doubt it's noticable to most people by now. Speaking is getting clearer, and my lisp is definitely a thing of the past, think I can finally start applying for jobs in confidence :) Eating is still weird, not sure if i'm getting better at it or just growing accustomed to the weirdness (probably the latter).

To mark this momentous milestone I felt something special was called for. As i've mentioned elsewhere in the blog i've been self concious of my underbite and smile since about 14 years old, and have had very very long hair since then - it was really only something to hide behind, and i'd always thought that if I ever went though with jaw surgery i'd chop it all off in celebration. So, the other day I decided that the time had come, and asked my hairdresser to lop 9 inches off the bottom! It was a shock, but since surgery my confidence has increased so much that I left with a big smile on my face. It felt soooo good, almost like a release. I was marking the start of a new beginning and leaving all those anxieties behind - before I would have chopped off a leg rather than get rid of my hair. Just shows what a bit of confidence can do :)

So, Tuesday is my next ortho appointment. I was supposed to be wearing these pesky elastics constantly other than for eating and cleaning but have been a bit slack, hope he doesn't get suspicious as i'll be denying all knowledge of any wrongdoing. I'll also be asking how long I can expect before debracing, it's about time they told me how long I have left!

8 comments:

Graham said...

You're looking great Disc! I can't believe that your hair is still that long even after chopping 9 inches off. Wow.

Soon you'll feel confident enough to start smiling in your pictures. :-) Right?

Kyla Makay said...

WOW you look great! and so does your hair! :D I LOVE IT!

-makay

Discantus said...

Thanks for the encouragement guys!

Graham - you spotted my smile phobia! I still automatically cringe away from cameras, but am now trying to stop seeing them as the enemy! Am working up to a smile so one day not long from now i'll be showing off my new toothy grin :)

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that your confidence has been boosted since the surgery. Your new "do" looks great!

I join you in being a bit lax with the pesky elastics!

Best,
Jennifer.

Anonymous said...

Hi!

Your hair (and jaw) look great! I just wanted to share with your readers that (after being inspired by you and others), I've started a blog to chronicle my experience. Here is the link: http://thirtyishflirtyandbracefaced.blogspot.com/ I hope it helps others as much as all of yours' have helped me!

- S

June said...

Hi Discantus. I like your haircut. It looks good. Now with your beautiful new "face" you don't have to hide behind your hair. Yeah!

I do know exactly what you mean though, because before my surgery, I always felt like I had to camouflage my jaw line. Those days are over. June

Jade said...

i am so incredibly jealous of your hair! but even more so, encouraged by how fantastic you look. can't wait to see that toothy grin (:

JEN said...

You look great!