Tuesday 24 November 2009

A Telling Off!

Uh-oh, i’m in trouble! At my adjustment last week I was told off for having slightly inflamed gums, and a build-up of plaque on some of my teeth. Now between you and me, these endless rounds of brushing, flossing, scraping and everything else are starting to grate a little – who wants to embark on all that work after rolling in from a late night out or a long cinema session? This didn’t stop me from denying all knowledge of any slackness, but the incriminating evidence was presented to me sternly on a hook. Busted! Still, this process will only be harder if my teeth are in poor shape so I suppose a sharp kick up the bum was deserved.


Things got better when Dr H. announced that he would indeed be taking moulds this session. At last! I’ve been promised a surgery date indication at my next adjustment once he’s played around with the teeth, but was a little disheartened to hear him telling his assistant not to worry if the moulds aren’t perfect as ‘they’re not surgical moulds yet’. Bugger! Here was me hoping i’d get the green light next time for surgery, but I guess this confirms that I won’t have to worry about eating my Christmas lunch through a syringe.


In other news, mum has started asking about the surgery date more and more! I think it’s a sign that she’s finally accepted that’s it’s going ahead rather than is happy about it so i'm still going keep quiet around her. I’m pretty sure the end result will speak for itself, and to all the naysayers i'm really looking forward to saying “I told you so!”

Next adjustment and (hopefully) big surgery date decision on Dec 17.

3 comments:

Katherine (Kate) said...

Hahaha, Oh I understand that " if I have to spend 20+ minutes to properly brush & floss ONE MORE TIME...." followed by "SCREW IT!" scenario all too well. This is often followed by panic at every tooth twinge that my occassional lapses have led to rampant decay and paranoia ensues,lol.

Crap, not nice to have let you hear the comment about not being surgical molds, not nice at all. But with the promise of an upcoming date? Awesomeness right there. Hey, that comment might mean nothing, as the surg will want to make his OWN molds, which are the ones that count anyways. These ones just need to be good enough to get you there ;)

That is great news about your mom~ I know, baby steps, but at least it shows she's thinking about it, and is coming to you to ask. Good sign right there. :)

V said...

I sat down with my mum and showed her all the spectacular before/after pics I could get my hands on.. Dunno if that would help?

Glad it's getting nearer to your date, even if you don't have it yet! It'll come round in no time!

And I TOTALLY know the feeling about the effort of dental care... I have to admit my WaterPik shaved off lots of time and got my gums into a much better state.. Like instant floss without all the fiddling!

Though once your braces come off it'll be ALL you want to do, you'll see!!!

Discantus said...

Hi Kate - Glad to hear i'm not the only one who commits the cardinal sin of falling off the dental wagon now and again, it just gets so tedious! Not long to go for you however before you're back to 5 minutes max in the bathroom - how good does that sound!

Hey V - I have considered showing her before/after shots, but knowing my mother she'll just come out with 'but I STILL think you're fine as you are!'. There's not really much I can say in the face of such unreasonable-ness. So as long as there's no more open hostility i'm happy to leave her be...

BTW your results are looking so great, they're a huge inspiration :)