Thursday 3 December 2009

“But the tigers come at night…



…with their voices soft as thunder”.

I am starting to experience pre-surgery nerves. During the day I am Miss Positive - totally happy, envisaging a perfect result, a smiling surgeon and a happy ending. Once I lie down to sleep however, my thoughts invariably turn in a darker direction, imagining things going wrong, suffering complications or terrible results, and I can’t seem to stop them.

All the surgery veterans out there would probably say that this is inevitable and not to dwell on the negative, but this new Crohn’s diagnosis has rather knocked my confidence for six. Now i’m having to refocus on my goal and work extra hard to banish those 3am terrors from my mind. It’s probably a good idea to stop reading any negative surgery stories, as they seem to crop up from time to time on archwired.com and terrify the life out of me. Best stick to the blogs of those who have gone before me and have had good results, as nothing is more inspiring that someone at the end of the process saying that all the stress and anguish is worth it. I’ve also started studying meditation techniques which will hopefully help in the build up to the Big Day.

Positive thinking, happy thoughts….

5 comments:

maryc said...

...I know this a comment from a random Blog lurker, but just like you I had those pre-surgery nightmares...now that I am post-op and have had the positive outcome I just want to give you encouragement. I think it is good to meditate and think on your fears, but don't let them overcome you. Take a look at my blog if you need, I hope it will give you encouragement! http://asmileconnectsus.blogspot.com

Powpow said...

Yeah... what she said. I also had good results. I was super nervous, and I work in a hospital too - but one of my doctor friends told me just before surgery that it is VERY very very super rare for any complications (serious ones) to crop up during this surgery. On the day, I took a book with me to read, then when I got called in, said in a very haughty, diva-esque way "you're never going to see this face again!" and turned on my heel just before leaving my family for the O.R. Drama, baby. Work it!

Discantus said...

Hi Jaw Surgery Aficionado,

Thanks for your reply! I would love to deal with the pre-surgery pressure with the same style, however I'm more likely to be rigid with fear by then. Going to try and relax by taking in some dvds of my favourite comedies to watch just beforehand, hopefully will ease the fear!

Carrie said...

Hey,

Don't let the alarming fear mongering stories on some sites make you fearful. My initial fear was calmed by researching oral and max surgeons. Not your average person performing these things.
Regardless, I make myself sick with worry about many things and this was no exception. Now that it's over and I've had my first follow-up appointment, I can say with some degree of certainly that it's all been a success.
Feeling afraid is normal. Cope with it the best way you know how and when it's all over it'll feel like a relief!!! And be so worth it!

Patricia said...

I feel just the same...the picture you post instantenously caught my atention, i didn´t have to read before i knew what you were feeling. I hope you have got better by now. I am from argentina, don't have a blog yet, but i am helping myself reading blogs from people like you that share their experience, it helps a lot. All the best , I'll be checking your advance.