Sunday 21 March 2010

Getting closer

So...four weeks five days to the big day. I've finally calmed down, and it's time to start on my preparations.

Unfortunately I'll be having to recover in my small flat in central London rather than escaping to mum's place in the country as Dr H and Mr T want to see me every few days after surgery, so it's going to be a rather uncomfortable few weeks for both me and A.

First big decision is where to sleep. There's no room for a recliner in here, and staying in bed with A next to me will probably keep us both awake all night, so I think the living room sofa bed is my only option - next to the kitchen and bathroom for nocturnal requirements, and allowing A to get a good night's sleep so he wait on me properly during the day :)

I'm going to invest in a wedge pillow and new fluffy pillows in order to make the sleeping upright lark a bit more comfortable, as well as a lap tray and lots of napkins. A trip to Marks & Sparks is also in order to pick up new pajamas and trackie bottoms - I imagine i'll be living in these for a least a month, and i've already checked out protein drinks and smoothies that can all be picked up a few days beforehand.

My big focus, however, is entertainment. I think that the best way to deal with the inevitable post-op emotional rollercoaster is to keep myself as distracted as possible, particularly during the first 10 days. So i'm ordering piles of my favourite movies and TV programmes on DVD as well as several large tomes - the final Twilight book has already arrived and i'm itching to get going on it!

I'm also more than a little preoccupied with the thought of my final meal, as I can't possibly go into this without a last food hurrah. Unfortunately my list of favourites is far to long to fit into one meal, so i'll be having a dish every weekend between now and the Big Day. Already on the list is sushi, fish n chips, a great curry and lashings of chocolate in any shape or form.

Appointments-wise I was at Dr H's last Thursday for final photos and Xrays. He'll now meet with Mr T for a final chin wag before they call me in to go over the Plan. So all I can do is wait for the call...

3 comments:

Kyla Makay said...

How exciting!!!!! :) I'm happy for you. It is going to be a tough ride, but oh so worth it in the end. :)

-makay

Anonymous said...

It sounds like you've got it all planned out. I too live in a small apartment, where both my mom and boyfriend stayed while caring for me.

Don't forget to have a stack of kitchen towels available and wear them like bibs. It will help with spillage when you brush your teeth/take meds/eat during those first few days.

Discantus said...

Thanks for the comments guys!

Mackay - You're so right. The time is FLYING by now, but i think i'm ready for the challenge.

JNN - congrats for making through your surgery, i'm enjoying your blog a lot :) Kitchen towels are definitely down on the shopping list, i've got cream sofas so they're lightly to be a mess by the end of this!