Sunday 28 March 2010

3 weeks 5 days to go...


Met up with an old friend for dinner last week who said she was suprised to see differences in my face already. I was suprised too - didn't think that much had changed apart from a worstening of my underbite! Just goes to show that we probably miss most of the subtle alterations that go on during our time in braces by seeing our reflections day to day. It's good to know they're working their magic even though we don't realise it...

So the countdown reached four weeks last friday, and right on cue my appointment letter arrived from the hospital, asking me to report to reception at the civilised hour of 12.30pm on surgery day. I was expecting some godforsaken 6am appointment, so this is good news.

I'm also coping pretty well with the nerves. Some of the tips i've read about coping with anxiety during this time can be summed up by a certain french philosopher, who said "My life has been full of misfortunes, most of which never happened" - in other words it's all too easy to get wound up imagining all the terrible things that can occur during surgery and recovery, when there's every possibility that they won't actually happen at all, so whats the purpose of worrying for nothing? I'm telling myself this everytime I feel uncertainty creeping up, and this seems to be working so far!

As for more practical matters, i've finally got cracking on my shopping list, picking up a few bits and pieces to make recovery more comfortable. However, the jaw bra and zip n squeeze thingies that I wanted seem unheard of here in the uk, so i'll just have to improvise and rely on whatever the hospital supply me with to eat.

So, next appt with Mr T is on April 12th for further wax-ups. Time to surgery is FLYING by, and with Easter and a quick holiday coming up I'll be on the threshold before I know it!

2 comments:

jaw nom nom said...

Love the picture. :)

You're right to try to limit your worry. I read everything I could on this surgery, including other's accounts (I avoided the surgery videos. You should too). I was prepared for a horrible experience, but I had the best experience of anyone I've read about. I wasn't banded shut nor did I have a splint. I had nice thick bones in my head to hold everything together. I wanted to and was able to eat and drink after surgery. I didn't throw up. The only drawback was lots of nosebleeds in the first day after surgery, but those are easily managed by tissues. I had a little pain, but didn't always need pain medication after surgery.

The point is that it's good to know those side effects in case they happen to you, but it doesn't mean all of them will happen to you.

In addition to being prepared, one of the best things you can do to be prepared for this surgery is to be positive. Your body will react accordingly.

Discantus said...

Wow, what a great recovery story! Just goes to show that mind and body really are closely linked, and is why I'm working so hard to get my head prepared as much as possible.

I agree about the vids, though I might have a look once I'm safely recovered-and probably faint in shock that I had that done to me!

Hope the recovery continues so well :D