Tuesday 13 April 2010

Get thee behind me invalid!

Just got back from a quick holiday to Iceland to take my mind off things. Before going away I was too busy planning excusions and outings to
think much about surgery, but now there's nothing else to focus on except the BIG DAY. It's all starting to feel very scary! 

Fortunately, yesterday was my latest appt with Mr T. We kicked off with further moulds and measurements, after which he pulled out a device called a facebow, which looked a bit like a scold's bridle, and attached it to my face which he then fiddled round with for a while. Afterwards we sat down and went over The Plan again, and I quizzed him on waking up from surgery. He reassured me that I would be woken very slowly, and that the local anaesthetic injected into my face and painkiller via the IV would ensure that I won't be in any pain when I come round, which is hugely reassuring as i'm terrified of waking up in agony and panic. 

With so little time left all I need to do is stay healthy, but that's easier said than done as pestilential people seem to be popping up everywhere coughing in my direction and fingering all the surfaces around them! One recent bronchitis sufferer in the office (who i've been avoiding like the plague) even came up to my desk, grabbed my new Sigg water bottle (without asking), and began turning it over in his hands! Had to resist the urge to shriek "get your germ-ridden mitts off my stuff!" Once he'd left I promptly legged it to the kitchen to give the bottle a thorough disinfecting.
 
So, next up is Dr H tomorrow. I've heard nasty things about surgical hooks so i'm hoping that it won't be in this appt that he chooses to inflict these evil things upon me - I want to enjoy my final weekend of eating in comfort!

5 comments:

Kyla Makay said...

I am so excited for you. I am sure surgical hooks are a pain at 1st, but you have made it this far you can do anything! haha. keep us posted.

-makay

June said...

I'm excited for you too. I'm also scheduled to have surgery about the same time you are. Mine is on May 6. Is yours on May 7? I'm nervous too. I've been reading jaw surgery blogs like crazy and they do seem to help. Keep us posted and check out my site too if you want. June

Anonymous said...

The surgical hooks aren't as bad as you'd think, but get extra wax and use it until surgery day. It will keep you more comfortable.

Discantus said...

Hi Mackay and JNN, thanks for your comments. I'm getting my hooks put on the day of surgery - my ortho is just round the corner from the hospital! I'm now enjoying eating while I can :)

Hi June, my surgery is on 23rd April so i'm a bit before you, i've also found others blogs really helpful in preparing for this. I'll be revealing the good, bad, and ugly of my surgery and recovery so hope you find that useful too!

kt said...

hello, I got to your blog from archwired (I am contemplating sarpe+bsso etc). Considering the Icelandic volcano/travel issues it is fantastic that you were able to vacation and get home right before everything shut down! Good luck w/ the hooks and surgery.