Wednesday 21 April 2010

Surgery postponed!

Gah! Damn them all!

Got a message from Mr T's office this morning. Mr T has been stranded in Switzerland since the Icelandic volcano ash closed European airspace, and will not arrive back until Sunday! My surgery slot on Friday has been cancelled and rebooked for May 1st, and i'm gutted, gutted, gutted :(

It may only be an 8 day delay, but building up to surgery is proving an emotionally exhausting experience - one minute you're gleeful and the next fearful, and all the while the countdown clock in your mind is reminding you that in X amount of days and hours you'll be there in the recovery room experiencing heaven-knows-what!

So, i've stood down family and friends, and have ANOTHER final weekend to try and relax.

Frustration.....

4 comments:

maryc said...

Ah I'm so sorry! I can totally relate to the pre-op frustrations! I know there is nothing to really take your mind off of surgery, but maybe you could use this time to try and practice drinking/eating through closed teeth, or test out blended meals! Those are two things I wish I had done prior to surgery. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I worried about that so much for my surgery.

Just stay positive and know that this surgery will come. In the meantime, enjoy chewing!

Graham said...

I would take those extra 8 days to eat as much of the food you like as possible.

Also: sing, dance, run, jump, brush, floss, move your jaw side-to-side, gurgle, whistle, lick your lips, chew gum... do all the things that you won't be able to do for awhile after surgery! =)

Discantus said...

Hi Marym, thanks for the advice! I've just had a go at this and it's not too hard (ignoring the slurping and dribbling) - mind you a big openbite does help, you could drive a truck through the gaping hole between my teeth right now!

Thanks JNN and Graham, have calmed down a bit now and am treating it as fate. I'm taking particular pleasure from eating pizza crusts and crunchy baguettes while I can, as well as getting out and enjoying running around (though yesterday was the last time i'll get a rugby ball in the face without a major freak out!)