Saturday 8 May 2010

7 days - first milestone!





Hurrah! 1 week exactly since I had surgery, and it feels good to reach this first milestone. Woke up early this morning and have been reliving every moment of that day in my mind (it's X o'clock, so I was doing Y etc etc), I'm sure it won't be the only time I do this.

So the 7 day check-up goes like this: Swelling peaked around 3 days ago and has subsided a little, but as some areas go down others come up, and my cheeks and neck are a multicolour of bruises. It rather looks like i've had botched cheek implant surgery, but isn't so bad I can't head out in public (albeit with my hair right over my face). I stopped taking pain meds 2 days ago as I simply don't need them, but my throat has been sore for the past 3 days or so. I put this down to the soft tissue back there taking its turn to swell rather than any surgical tube damage. Exterior numbness is limited to the bottom left hand side of my lip and area of chin below, but inside my upper gums and pallette are completely dead - I was cleaning up after a meal and almost gouged out a bit of gum without realising it!

The plan for the next few days is a big fat NOTHING. I think my recovery is going so well as i'm doing as little as possible and making sure I relax - the hardest decision anyone should be making at this stage is which flavour smoothie to have - and so i'm not going to ruin it all by rushing back into life just yet, the world can make do without me for another week or so :)

4 comments:

Kyla Makay said...

looking good. it has to feel good to know the worst is behind you. it can only go uphill from here. :)

-makay

My Underbite Adventure said...

Hi. I had surgery for my underbite a few days ago as well (on May 4th). You are looking awsome! Your new profile is so cute ;)
It must feel great to be at the 1 week mark and know that the worst is over.
I guess from now on it can only get better and better.

-MC

Graham said...

Wow, you got a *lot* of bruising! My surgeon was astonished that I didn't bruise at all. Now I know what I was missing!

You sound like you're doing great, my fellow jaw surgery hero. :-)

Remember, stay happy. And as soon as you start to get lonely, surround yourself with friends and family. Not being able to eat or talk is no excuse! =)

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making it to the one week mark! I've just completed the Day 1 milestone. It's helpful following your blog... I have a better idea of what to expect in the next week.

Take care,
Jennifer.