Wednesday 5 May 2010

Day 4 - Compromises



I've reached day 4, and am finally beginning to feel human again! The swelling seems to have reached its peak, and bruising is now coming out (which apparently is a good sign of healing). Energy levels are good, and so is appetite, so all in i'm feeling quite pleased with my progress. (excuse the lolling eyes that keep showing up in my photos, i'm not really that doped-up looking)

I have however had to make a few compromises on the recovery front. Found out last night that if I want to get a good night's sleep there's no point bothering with much head elevation. I know it's good for the swelling, but right now I think sleep takes priority and I don't want to start taking sleeping pills to get some shut eye.

Today's plan is pretty simple - head out for some fresh air. Living in my patch of central London, the only green space within walking distance is a cemetery, but it's full of trees and birds, and I can enjoy the spring blossom and sunlight - much needed after the dark and scary few days i've been through.

5 comments:

Kyla Makay said...

Yeah... get out of the house... who cares if you get stares. it will feel awesome. I am glad you are feeling better. Like I have said in my last 3 comments you are lookin' GOOOOOD! :) Congrats. Sleep is super important for your body's healing... so I would go with sleep too.

Did you get both jaws done or just the bottom?

keep us posted. :)

-makay

Discantus said...

Hi Makay! thanks for your comments, glad you're enjoying the blog. I'm quite pleased that the swelling isn't too bad, though it feels worse than it looks as there's lots of pressure building up in there.

I had both jaws done, top forward and bottom back. Is that what you're having done too?

Anonymous said...

I think as long as your head is elevated during the day, it won't be awful if it's lower at night.

Make sure you're icing your face a lot according to your doctor's instructions. It really helps. Enjoy the sunshine! If you need food suggestions, just let me know.

Kyla Makay said...

YES! WOOHOO! I am going to look like that after 4/5 days? Not near as bad as I thought. Wow thanks for the reassurance. I am sure you feel terrible, but still the way the dr. described it I thought I was going to die. haha.

I am having top forward (with bone graphs), bottom back, and all 4 wisdom teeth removed.

Thanks.

-makay

Graham said...

Ah, the good old day when the swelling peaks. Good call on the fresh air. It really does change everything.