Wednesday 26 May 2010

Day 25, His work is done!

The last few days have been much of a muchness - eating, sleeping, inspecting my teeth - just ticking off the days until the magical month mark, when I feel i'll be pretty much out of the woods. The swelling, now very much in the centre of my face, is still giving me a certain quirk of expression and my mouth cankers causing my lips have an uneven look to them, but energy is good, spirits are high and life is moving on :)

Today was the second appointment with my surgeon. He poked about inside and declared himself delighted with my progress. Apparently the scars are barely visible and there has been no relapse (he said it would have happened by now if was going to happen at all). He said the swelling was looking great for this stage of recovery and it shouldn't be too long before it's completely gone. Best of all he gave me permission for soft chew - YAAAAAAY, and in two weeks i'll be back to normal foods, i'm so glad to see the back of the slurp n slop diet!

I asked about speech and he told me to go ahead and speak normally. This is actually more difficult than it sounds as my elastics pull me shut when I attempt to articulate words and my mouth still feels somewhat stiff, there's no way I could get through a job interview sounding like I currently do. Hopefully a week or so of blabbering on the phone will sort this one out.

The final discussion of the appointment was our next meeting. We've set a date for the end of June but Mr T said that his work was essentially done, and that he was handing me back to my orthodontist for completion! I rushed home and got straight on the blower to set up an appointment, and hope to go and show off my new bite to them next week (and get these pesky elastics loosened to I can sound normal). Also hoping that Dr H might give me an indication of how much finish work needs doing. Knowing how much orthos love to stretch stuff out the answer is probably a few months, if i'm lucky, but it's still great to know that there's now a definite finish line in the not-too-distant future :)

7 comments:

Jade said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jade said...

hi there, you look wonderful and have done such a fantastic job documenting everything. i've just launched my blog, as i am twenty nine days out from my surgery. you've given a lot of my stress and nervous jitters a bit of calm, thank you!

SinxDesigns said...

I can hardly see any swelling and you look fantastic. Thanks again for recording all of your experiences, and with photos as well.

June said...

Hi. So glad to hear you're doing well. I don't want to keep saying this, but you look great. I know what you mean about talking. One of my friends said I should be a ventriloquist. I didn't think it was as funny as they did. hmmmm I love your UK version of things like "the blower". I'll have to call it that myself. June

Discantus said...

Hi Convalescent and Tooth! It's glad you're enjoying the blog, it's quite fun trying to put into words all the weird things i'm experiencing, but worth it to help others on the same journey.

Thanks June, I've been checking out your blog and your pics are coming along nicely too :)
Glad my lazy slang words are making sense to people outside the uk, have to make sure I don't slip in any London cockney though - 'I rushed home and got straight on the dog' would probably have raised a few eyebrows!

Anonymous said...

You look fantastics. Beautiful, totally can be an actress/model.

T said...

So weird, at my 3 week appointment I asked my surgeon about relapse and he said if it was going to happen it would be much later in my recovery. Sometimes I hate how much different every surgeon is.

Did you have titanium plates put in? I did, and I'm wondering if maybe that's the difference?